Implement An RPG-Style Inventory System. All Code Base Provided As A Flexible Asset Pack. Improve your C#
What you’ll learn
RPG Inventory Systems: Intermediate Unity C# Coding Course Site
- How to implement and lay out your inventory UI (user interface) so that the panels, buttons, slots, and icons make sense.
- How to use useful UI components like the Scroll View Asset and the Grid Layout Group to more easily structure your inventory UI.
- Learn how to use the drag-and-drop system so that players can pick up inventory items and move them to other slots, or drop them into the world.
- How to use a pickup system with scriptable objects providing the data for specific inventory items.
- How to use and modify the equipping system so that players can equip weapons and armor from their inventory.
- Learn how to interface between what the player sees on-screen in their inventory and what your backend system knows should be the appropriate information stored in the inventory.
- How to use and modify a tooltip system that gives the player information about their inventory items.
- How to make items stackable so that if a player has more than one of an item it only takes up one inventory slot and displays how many items have been stacked.
- Learn how to refactor your code so that when a new feature is added, it propagates to all areas of your project without breaking your game.
- How to build a user interface mockup in Unity
- You should be able to write basic C# (loops, conditionals, components, etc)
- Some familiarity with Unity’s APIs is helpful.
- You should know your way around Unity’s editor.
- We recommend you take at least the first half of our Complete Unity Developer 2D or 3D, or equivalent, as a pre-requisite.
This course is the second in our RPG series and is designed for intermediate users of Unity.
We will also take you step-by-step through the process of using, modifying, improving, and understanding the code that drives the asset pack.
Please note, that this course follows a different format. Rather than building the inventory system from scratch, line-by-line, we will provide you with our code and then explain how the code works so that you understand it fully. This is an approach that works well for folks who are already competent with Unity and C# and want to “get to the answer” more quickly.
Although this course is part of our RPG series, you can use the inventory system for any of your projects that require items to be picked up, dropped, moved, and equipped.
In this course we will cover the following systems:
- The click-to-pickup and the runover-to-pickup systems
- The dropping system
- The tooltip overlay system
- The stackable item system
- The equipping system
- The saving and loading system
The course covers many advanced programming principles and goes into great depth to discuss good code architecture practices.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for intermediate Unity users who want to create their Inventory System.
- Our Complete Unity Developer course provides the perfect pre-requisite.